Thursday 1 January 2009

Introduction


History is about people. A few of them are famous but most are not. Kings, Queens, Popes, Politicians, Generals even footballers find themselves into the history books, but miners, factory workers, shopkeepers etc are seldom remembered.

For my Great Uncle, a long serving soldier, a man of simple tastes and outlook, his story for me speaks for the men who served in the Army during this period in history.

In time I will be adding to this blog the service career of my Great Uncle, from enlistment in 1897 to 1919 when he was discharged. It was quite a journey for this lad. The Connaught Rangers saw him serve from Ireland, the Anglo Boer War in South Africa, India, to the battlefields of Northern France.

My detailed research to date has covered the events surrounding several battles that the 1st Btn saw action in during the 1899 - 1902 Anglo Boer War with particular reference made to the Battle of Colenso in 1899 and the Battle for Terrace Hill in early 1900. Two epic battles that the Connaught Rangers as part of General Harts 5th (Irish) Brigade played a major but costly role in.

I appreciate these events took place over a century ago, but in comparison to the ever growing interest in the Great War, the South African campaign appears to have been totally forgotten about to this day throughout Ireland. You may think otherwise.

I hope this blog will raise people's awareness and educate you at the same time. I welcome any comments, opinions, additional information as I wish to learn more along the way too.

7 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading you're blog. Its great to see a personal account of a soldiers life to compliment the many regimental histories of the Connaughts that exist on the net. I've been doing my own research on my own great grandfather who was with the Connaughts (he was a Dubliner by the way) at Colenso with the 1st Batt and later Gallipoli, the Balkans and France with the 5th. As I'm sure you are aware British Army service by Irishmen was pushed into the background of modern history and until very recently only a very vague memory of him being in the army existed in the family. From a side note on his death certificate which mentioned he'd fought in the Boer War I've been able to start tracing his history. I have since obtained his Army pension record and hope to get his service record too. I look forward to hearing more ... I'll be signing up as a follower (as soon as i figure out how) ...

    Damian,
    Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good man Damian. Glad you enjoyed the read and could relate to it from your Great Grandfathers connection. Its good to remember these lads. As time goes on I will clean up the grammer and spelling too !!! There will be plently more to add. Currently detailing the 1st Battalions actions on the ill fated Terrace "Hatts" Hill campaign. Its an action with several different accounts and conflicting views. If you wish to add anything to this ie your Great Grand dads details I will be delighted to add it into this story. It makes it more interesting, down to earth and not all "stuffy" history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY INTERSTING READ, I HAVE BEEN RESEARCING THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS MYSELF AND IT SEEMS THEY WERE AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE ARMY FOR A LONG TIME MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER HENRY LEAHY SERVED IN THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS AND HAD QUITE A LARGE FAMILY THERE 9 CHILDREN.BORN IN GALWAY AND CASTLEBAR ALTHOUGH IM NOT SURE WHERE HE SERVED I KNOW HE SERVED FROM BEFORE 1895 TO AROUND 1909 I THINK. HE WAS AWARDED THE MSM I HAVE NO LIVING RELATIVES THAT CAN ASSIST ME IN MY RESEARCH SO ITS ALL QUITE NEW ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFULL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi I am researching a member of the connaught rangers 6th battallion who died at Ronssoy march 1918. I was wondering would you have any pictures of the regiment or any additional info. This research is for a master project so hoping you can help. thanks
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, Damian here. Just thought you might be interested , you are probably already aware that tonights episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are' on BBC 1 (22.07.09) featured Chris Moyles a Radio 1 DJ. His GGF fought with the 6th Battalion in France, and the program includes a very personal account of his service. It will be screened again on BBC2 on tuesday next the 28th or catch it on BBC iplayer. Doing quite well with my own research but can't get a photograph, alhough family members remember one ! The photo at the top of your blog is excellent and one which i haven't come across elsewhere. Any backround on it ? My father visited the Museum in Boyle where they had no record of my GGF, on the medal rolls or anything yet i have got all of his records from a visit to the NA in Richmond ! Reading the original Battalion records there was fascinating, you need a lot of time though. Only had time to flick through the Terrace Hill section. Looking forward to reading about it here.

    Damian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this. I have found it all very interesting.

    My great-great-uncle John McCusker served from 1877 to 1879 and died in Port Louis, Mauritius. Also, I have just learned that my great-grandfather (English) Joseph Harrison served for a short time in the 1870s in Galway.

    Joy Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Grandad Hugh Mc Manus served with colours 2-2-16 to 13-3-19> discharged Mar 31 1920 (demobilization)

    Service Record #6488, POW Interview Ref 2943 with British War and Victory Medals.

    Looking for any military record info - particularly Battalion #

    I have only Discharge Certificate from War Office.

    ReplyDelete